You're mean. You're sneaky. You're a shifty drug-dealer from south of the border who came here to rape our women, steal our jobs, and give us all malaria and SARS.
You're a BAD HOMBRE.
But seriously, if you have been able to make it through this election without needing to down a handle of bourbon every time the Walking Dumpster Fire with The Hair comes across your screen...well then you are some sort of superhero. Tell us your secrets.
For the rest of us out there who need the sweet soothing that only comes from a cold cocktail in order to survive until November 8th, we give you the Bad Hombre.
It's strong. It's smoky. It's bitter. It's salty. It's a little bit sweet, because hey, every Bad Hombre has a soft side.
This is basic tequila cocktail with a bit of a twist. Smoky mezcal adds some earthiness, orange bitters and grapefruit juice add a little citrus zing, and the egg white gives it a frothiness that mimics the head on a cold pint of beer.
It's fairly easy to batch as well - two servings will fit into a standard cocktail shaker. If you're making it for a crowd just omit the egg white, multiply the ingredients by the number of drinks, mix in a pitcher, and pour over ice. Or blend for a frozen Bad Hombre! Or make a whole pitcher, grab a straw, and hunker down in a corner as you wonder what in the ever loving hell has become of our country. Either way, you'll get a good buzz on.
The Bad Hombre
Makes one drink
- 2 ounces mezcal
- 1 ounce blanco tequila
- 2 Tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp agave nectar (to your preference)
- 1 egg white
- Sugar in the raw (optional)
- Salt (Optional)
- If desired, mix together one part sugar in the raw with one part salt on a plate. Run a lemon wedge (or a wet paper towel) around the rim of the cocktail glass and dip into the sugar/salt mix. Set the glass aside.
- In a cocktail shaker combine all of the ingredients and shake vigorously for 1-2 minutes, until the egg white has foamed.
- Add a large scoop of ice and shake again until chilled.
- Strain into the cocktail glass. Enjoy!
- Meyer lemon juice is a nice substitute for the regular lemon juice
- Don't like the idea of the egg white? Shake all ingredients together without the egg white, pour over ice, and top with a splash of seltzer water.